April 1st. 1964

It all started when I returned from a long holiday with a school friend Laraine in South Africa. Prior to the visit I saw the Beatles on TV and immediately loved them. I told Laraine that on my return I would definitely try and get a job with their company, Nems. However, in the mean time I started work at Harrisons Publishing House, I hated every minute and spent most of my time in reception talking to the girls.

 An avid reader of the NME, I noticed that Nems Enterprises had moved to London, the receptionist suggested I call them, she volunteered to get them on the line, I spoke to a women who asked me to attend an interview the following day, I was so excited. I was living with my Mother in a mansion block in Chalk Farm, I told her my plans and she said you do know it is the 1st of April tomorrow, my reply was, I don’t care I am going.

On arrival at 5/6 Argyll Street, the first person I spoke to was Laurie McCaffrey who informed me they had no knowledge of my appointment, but indeed they were looking for staff and called Alistair Taylor, the General Manager over. I suppose it helped that I was born in Widnes about 5 miles from Liverpool. He told me the job was mine but have to wait two weeks, which suited me as I was travelling to Widnes for my cousin’s 21st Birthday.

On returning to the Harrisons office I was greeted by the receptionist saying April Fool, I gave a smile and said, actually I got the job!!!!!!!! The biggest joy of all was that Harrisons fired me the next day and gave me two weeks pay. A Guardian Angel moment.

Comments

  1. I know i'm going to really enjoy your blog Bar-bar. All the love. LX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never k.ew all that! Looking forward to the next instalment....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment