A Rudderless ship.

Carrying on was the only option, and we did, occasionally Brian’s brother Clive would visit and try to make sense of the whole shebang but it must have been difficult as he had never really been part of the company.  A lovely guy, but just not used to all the madness.
Peter Brown carried on with his numerous boyfriends, one being Kenny Everett. He would come in every evening and wait for Peter, it would drive me mad because I really loved Kenny, I kept saying to him, you know that you are far too nice for him, leave now, he never did.   I think in the end he enjoyed his life, he started living with a girl called Lee, we would talk often because she loved dogs and started breeding them.   I hope he did find contentment; he was such a lovable character.

Tommy Nutter, has to be my favourite man of all times, another one involved with Peter.   So talented, obviously others saw his potential because he opened up his shop in Saville Row and had a very successful tailoring business. More on Tommy later...

The Beatles got involved with four clothes designers call the Fool, originally from Holland, they made very weird clothes, some people loved them, unfortunately I was never a hippy so I couldn’t see the magic.   The boys decided to open a clothes shop called The Apple Boutique on 94 Baker Street, on the 7th. December 1967. 



The opening of the shop was arranged, and I had planned to go after work but that week there was a strike by London transport so they allowed private cars to enter the city with free parking. It was pandemonium but I eventually managed to find parking miles away from the office so decided at lunch time to retrieve my car and move it closer. Unfortunately I arrived back in the office late and Peter stormed out of his office, and in front of Tommy went ballistic at me. I’ve never been good with that so I looked at him and said I am not taking your shit anymore and left Nems. So I never did get to go to the opening of the boutique.

Thank goodness for Wendy Hanson, she was an agent for models including Jean Shrimpton. I called her the next day and told her the saga, “come and work for me at the flat” she said. Wendy was probably the kindest person I have ever met, she told me I might be bored so feel free to go through my library, which I did, the Karma Sutra etc, I had never read books like that before. When I told her my choice in reading she phoned Geoffrey Ellis, who still worked for Nems and said I have got to find a new job for Barbara before I completely corrupt her, and she did.

Neil Aspinall had been made managing director of the Beatles new company Apple.   Wendy phoned him and said “I know the perfect secretary for you Neil... Barbara.”

He took her advice and the good times rolled.

Comments

  1. Thanks again Barbara.
    I met Kenny Everett a few times
    I thought he also loved John so much.
    His girlfriend/wife was living with Billy Fury at first before getting involved with Kenny. She knew he was Gay before he even knew it himself. She arranged his meetings with his 'boyfriends' she eventually moved on. And married an actor from the TV program The Sweeney.
    Love your snippets on here they bring back so many memories
    Please carry on x

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I am writing is from my prospective, so glad you are enjoying it. Have lots of funny stories to come, they really were very special and I so enjoyed being part of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment