I am glad I’m not young any more.

There was an entry in my diary... went to the NME music awards. Sat back stage with the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, had a great time... The last thing I put in my diary that evening was.... Depressed.

Robert Stigwood's Company merged with Nems, some people were not happy about it, however I found Robert a great guy to work for, always very appreciative. He would ask us girls to help serve champagne at his many receptions, within ten minutes he would come over and say join the party girls, let them get their own, and the next day there would be a bouquet on your desk.

Robert introduced us to the Bee Gees. The twins were 17 and Barry was 19, later that day we discovered Barry was married, obviously not a subject to be discussed. Always loved their music, such talent. One long weekend I went to Farnborough to stay with my Grandmother, the weather was glorious so I spent every minute in the sun and in the evening I crocheted a cream dress. The Bee Gees were playing at the 100 Club on the Monday night and I turned up looking completely different, tanned and in my new dress, had one of the best nights ever.

We used a car hire company called Artist Car Service, owned by a guy called Don Murfet, he and his drivers were always known as the Camden Mafia. A great bunch who would do anything for you. However, I was always happy to be on their good side. One day Cream came in, Eric didn’t look very happy so we asked why, seemingly he had all his guitars stolen from the band’s van. I suggested I phone Don Murfet to see if he could be of any help. Eric spoke to Don on the phone to explain all the details, suddenly the colour drained from Eric’s face, “no Don no shooters, no knee caps I just want them back.”

Brian rented an office suite in Stafford Street; I went as the office secretary, still doing artist accommodation. Wendy Hanson was Brian’s P.A., she didn’t stay long but we kept in touch. One day George came in, “can you do me a favour Barbara? I have the lyrics for our latest album, could you type them out for us?” He suggested he sat next to me and read them out as the hand writing was too bad for me to read. As I finished each song he would hand me the paper and I would throw it in the bin, the album was Sergeant Pepper. Do I have regrets? Absolutely. I was given the photo used on the album cover, and it was my job to get permission from either the person or the family of everyone in the photo, it was an absolute nightmare. Shirley Temple wasn’t sure and others were so difficult to find. It was such a relief when I managed to get all the permissions. The files took over an entire cabinet.

Brian had a secretary at his house at 24 Chapel Street, her name was Joanne Newfield. She was such good fun, and we often had lunch together. It would appear Brian seemed quite comfortable in our company. One day Joanne turned up with Lulu’s little Yorkshire Terrier. She asked me if I could look after her as she and Lulu had a meeting with Marion Massey (Lulu’s manager). Loved having her until I heard Brian coming in, had to hide her under my desk. I decided I would go to lunch early and take her out for walk. Unfortunately that day I had decided to wear my new hold up stockings, they were elasticised so you didn’t need suspenders. Unfortunately I had such skinny legs they ended up around my ankles every few yards; needless to say the dog didn’t get her walk.

Comments

Post a Comment