See You At The Saville On Sunday

There was a saying up North, take as you find, and I have always lived by this theory. I probably had rose tinted glasses on but what the hell. With a few exceptions, everyone I met were great characters and so easy to get on with.

Cilla and I had been shopping, on our return we bumped in to George coming out of the lift. She explained she was meeting the Righteous Brothers later and asked George what she should say to them, she had covered their song You’ve Lost that Loving feeling, so George said tell them I like what you have done with my song!

My first romance was with Tommy Quickly, he took me for lunch and I really enjoyed his company, however the anguish I went through! Some days he would come into the office and totally ignore me, I just couldn’t work him out. He took me out for dinner one night and didn’t say a word, I was so browned off I asked him to take me home immediately. One day I was talking to Tony Barrow my favourite press officer, it all became clear. Tommy had done a tour with Ben E King who introduced him to the dark side (drug taking) that explained everything.

Talking about learning curves, I knew nothing about drugs with exception of pot, living in South Africa as a child it was a common problem. Of course, in my mind I was determined to help him, it certainly wasn’t helping his career. One night I had been out with my friend Val, a guy called George Bean and Tony Catchpole, They were in a band called Georgie Bean and the Runners, always great company. Arrived back at the flat to find Tommy entertaining my Mother, all she kept saying was “tell Barb that story Tommy” and so it went on, I tried to catch her eye to tell her to go to bed, no such luck, he had certainly got her approval. In the end I accepted defeat.

I was looking through my diary and found tickets stubs.
Friday 5th March 1965, Regal Edmonton, Stones, Hollies, Goldie and the Gingerbreads and Dave Berry my comment was - “it was quite good, but the girls were screaming”
Saturday, 6th March 1965 The Old Vic to watch Much A do about nothing with Albert Finney and Maggie Smith, absolutely loved it especially when Albert came on!!!!!!! The world was certainly my oyster.

Brian bought the lease on the Saville Theatre. The beginning of exciting times, during the week it remained a venue for stage work, but Sundays became a pop venue. We were given free tickets and the saying in the office was “See you at the Saville on Sunday.”

The Beatles were due to appear there, our tickets were right at the back of the auditorium. I mentioned the fact to the boys, John said, don’t worry Barb, I will wave to you, George laughed and told me there was no chance as with John’s eyesight he couldn’t see passed the first row, brilliant time was had by all.

Comments