Regrets, I have a few.

Sitting in reception one day a young American girl walked in clutching a tome, it was a letter to Paul. She looked about 16 completely void of makeup and short hair, her name was Francie Swartz.  I must have been in a good mood, so I suggested she come back in the afternoon as I knew the boys were due in and she could give it to him personally, big mistake.  She visited the Elizabeth Arden beauty salon and returned looking completely different.   It was too late to say it was not possible to meet Paul, the dye was cast.   I don’t know what happened after that, but I did hear that Jane arrived home early from a theatre tour to find them in bed together.  I really liked Jane and would never have done anything to scupper their relationship.   I did read that Francie had written a book about her time with the boys, couldn’t have been that long because Paul met Linda.
The whole concept of Apple was to help artists to fulfil their potential; one of the first people to contact us was Yoko Ono.   A couple of times I put her through to Neil. The next time I tried, he called me in and said don’t put that women through to me again, I think she is a nutter and she scares the s... out of me.   However, none of us realised how determined she was.   Years later when she told the story about meeting John at the Indica gallery she professed not to know who he was, that is definitely a load of b............ 
We moved to our new premises at 3 Saville Row.   I was in Peter Brown’s office, my desk was large, white melamine, and the filing cabinets matched it.   However, Peter had chosen the chairs around the fireplace and they were pink leather, too much for Neil, who happened to be the most down to earth and the loveliest guy you could ever meet.   They went to the upholsterer and came back a moss green velvet, much more in keeping.
I arrived at the office one day and Peter had decided he wanted his office to himself and therefore my desk was being moved to a platform just outside his door, this led to a back staircase which was very dark and quite depressing, I lasted a few days before the tears flowed.   Mal appeared and ask what was wrong, I explained and the next thing I knew was Paul and Mal arriving, picking up my desk and putting it back into Peter’s office, with instructions never to do that again. My knights in shining armour.  
I did move again to a small office between Neil and Peter’s, loved it there, I could look down the staircase and see everyone coming and going.

Comments

  1. Barbara's memories always make fascinating reading. She simply tells it like it was.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment