Snippets from Apple.

Paul had a house in Cavendish Avenue, St. John’s Wood, and on my way home to Totteridge one night I dropped off a parcel, Linda answered the door and asked if I had ever been there before, my reply was no, “great come on in and tell me what you would do with the lounge”, I walked in to an empty room, obviously Jane’s input to the decor had been completely removed.  The only piece of furniture was a grand Piano and lovely wide mahogany shelves, I proceeded to tell them my vision, suddenly you could cut the air with a knife and Linda stormed off, I looked at Paul quizzically, what happened? He laughed and said you have just put everything back exactly how the room looked like before.  Needless to say my advice was not used.

Rose was Paul’s housekeeper, we chatted most days, and one day she phoned to say a neighbour over the road Alice Griswold had complained about noise and could l speak to her.   Alice was a total eccentric but charming, obviously very wealthy with little to do, and very lonely.   I would occasionally pop in on the way home at her request.   One day I walked in and the whole house had been split down the middle with a wooden fence, including the beautiful wide staircase. Stunned, I ask why she had done it her reply was her two spaniels had a fight so would never meet again, being a Northern Lass you can imagine what I thought.  A few months later someone broke into Paul’s house and so he decided to hire security.   Alice was quick off the press, did I know the security guys had dogs and they had nowhere to sleep. I did try to explain they were working dogs, but she wouldn’t listen, the next day she delivered dog beds, blankets and treats.   Had to admit defeat with that one.

Ringo was always the one to go to if you had a problem, so easy going and lovable.   One day we got a request from Lauran Bacall, she was in London with her children and they wanted to meet the Beatles.  I called her back to invite her to lunch with Ringo.   What an experience, we could not wait to get rid of her and the obnoxious kids. 

Paul decided he needed a break away so decided to visit his farm in Kintyre, back to nature and all that shit, Jane told me once how basic it was, with a corrugated iron roof, and a serious lack of good plumbing!!!!!! Personally I can’t imagine anything worse.   Anyway a couple of days later the phone goes in my office, “Paul here, can you arrange a small aircraft to deliver his favourite ice cream”, my comment was, that didn’t last very long, back to nature my a...

I was interviewing people for a job in the accounts department, one applicant was from Nigeria and another from Ireland, as it happened the Irish guy got the job.   The next thing we heard was the Nigerian had reported us to the racial discrimination board and they would be coming to interview us. We probably chose the Irish guy because he was more fun, it certainly didn’t have anything to do with colour!!!!!!   I told George my tale of woe, his reply was, “Don’t worry about it, we’ll throw in Doris Troy and Billy Preston to the meeting.”  The visit went flawlessly; I asked the inspector if he wanted a coffee and Shirley our chef arrived with both Doris and Billy popping in.  Mission accomplished.


Comments

  1. Hunter Davies once described Paul's sitting room, which was at the back of the house, as working class posh', which I always thought was a perfect description for how it was in the Sixties. - Ray Connolly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment