More on Apple.

There was something very special about Beatle wives, I cannot imagine what it would be like to work for the new generation now, could never have tolerated divas, but then even Yoko would not have dreamed of being obnoxious.   Pattie Harrison was lovely, I would say to her, you must let us know what you need, that is why we are all here to help, and her answer was I don’t want to trouble you.   One day she popped in and we started talking about duvets, unheard of in England at the time, I mentioned my Uncle had an office in Luxembourg and I would phone his secretary to arrange for her to buy one and send it over, it duly arrived and a trend started.   On day she phoned to say she was off to Manchester, a 1930’s hotel was being refurbished and bathrooms were needed for Friar Park.  So much love and care went into the renovation and Pattie had a very large input, it must have been very hard for her to leave it.  She has never changed, still as charming as ever.   We live locally and keep in touch, she is always amazed how much I remember
I was probably closer to Ringo and Maureen, he would pop into the office and we would end up having a long chat, I suppose it was easier because he was happily married and I didn’t have a barrier up just in case they got the wrong idea.   Maureen would pop in, immediate rapport, could have been we were both only children and totally got our parents.   One day we were talking about her two boys Zak and Jason and I mentioned why didn’t she try for a girl, she started shaking a bottle of vitamin pills at me, still didn’t get it, for goodness sake Barbara keep it quiet , but I’m pregnant, it all worked according to plan.   Gorgeous little girl called Lee.

Linda was pregnant with Mary, our backwoods little country didn’t know about nappy services or disposables, but soon got the hang of it.   It was probably a difficult transition for Rose, Paul’s housekeeper, she really loved Jane, but it all worked out in the end, Mary was a gorgeous little baby, Linda phoned me and asked if I minded looking after her for an hour one evening on my way home from work as the babysitter couldn’t make it before 7.30.   Not a problem, my Mother had six sisters, babies everywhere.   I can remember walking around the house with Mary in my arms and Martha at my feet thinking, I do hope this happens to me one day.    Dreams can come true, the only difference was, mine was a boy and the dog was a Yorkshire Terrier.

Yoko was never going to fit in, but sometimes I did have a twinge of kindness, one day I made her an appointment at the dentist, when she heard the time she said, but that would mean John would come into the office alone and people may think we have split up.   I am sure most of us wished it was true, but I felt sad for her, in many ways she appeared so bull headed and confident. Two things entered my brain, do I really want to get on the blower and change the appointment or make her feel better, the last won.   Don’t worry Yoko, when you turn up later you can prove them all wrong.

To keep up the laughter.
Laurie and I went for lunch in Soho, deep in conversation she mentioned she was back with an old lover from her Nems day, I listened to all the gory details and at the end of the saga had this terrible urge to laugh, but looking at her serious expression, it would have been totally out of order.   It is a bit like being in Church when it just bubbles up and there is nothing you can do about it.   I did manage to get back to the office before I exploded, it was one of those tales that had to be shared.  I walked into Peter Brown’s office and said, you will like this story, I am going to get Neil and will be back.   Neil was chatting to George so he got included, my conditions were, this has never to get back to Laurie, of course they all promised.  The love affair was extremely steamy, there was one stipulation, when he was just about to you know what, he would tap her on the shoulder and she would have to say Nems Enterprises good afternoon.   She did have the most amazing voice, but knowing the people concerned made it hilarious.   It certainly brightened up our day.

Comments

  1. Just love and enjoy reading all your comments of insights what was going on. Would have loved to have been employed at Apple. Even better to get in the inner circle.
    Please keep posting
    Graham

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment