The theme from Jaws comes to mind.

Allen Klein entered the building, and everything changed.
John, George and Ringo wanted him as he had a great reputation of getting better deals.   There was no doubt that EMI had been taking the lions share for years so we could understand their frustration.   Paul wanted to go with Linda’s father and brother, Lee and John Eastman, both lawyers from New York.   After meeting both sides my thoughts were, rough against the smooth, if they behaved like gentlemen the smooth would win.   However, a meeting was arranged in Peter’s office and with my door ajar I witnessed a free for all in the space of minutes and the smooth lost, I was utterly amazed at their behaviour.   That was probably my light bulb moment when I realised most people lack common sense when money is involved.
I received a call from a girl called Jo Bergman, she worked for the Rolling Stones in the press division,   She had been a part of Nems in the early years.  Her first words where, what the hell are they doing? Do you know that all our important files are placed in the back of Keith Richards’s car every time Klein comes over, they all had serious doubt about him. Gulp, what could you say about that and to who?
I had a call from David Most, Mickie Most’s brother, he worked in a music publishing house just up the road from our office.   “Barb, Mickie has an appointment to meet Allen this afternoon at your office and he is going to kill him, can I come down and sit with you to view the carnage.”   I have always enjoyed a good drama so he was more than welcome.   The scene was set, Mickie arrived and within the space of a few seconds was brandishing a fire iron at Klein as they ran around the office, David and I had front row seats.  Suddenly the mood changed and all we could hear was moderate voices, next thing we knew the two of them were walking arms around each other down the staircase the best of friends.   Disbelief was written across our faces, how the hell did that happen? We knew then the die was cast.
Life carried on as normal until the day I heard from George Harrison’s milkman that he hadn’t been paid for two months.   I went into the accounts department to be informed that Klein had instructed them not to pay for as long as possible, his motto was better in our bank account than theirs.   A couple of days later I was reminded that our brilliant laundry service had cancelled our account due to none payment.   Armed with this information I spoke to Klein, out came the spiel, better in our bank account etc, my reply was, are you going to explain why George doesn’t get his pint of milk or using an inferior laundry service is a good idea.
Gradually I got used to watching Peter Brown don his jacket to sack one of the old regime and Klein’s henchmen taking over, it was a civil war.   I returned from lunch one day to discover Paul had dictated a letter to Bill, Peter Brown’s P.A. to tell Klein never to mess around with one of his songs.   Seemingly, he had got Phil Spector to add his wall of sound to The Long and Winding road.    That certainly didn’t go down well
I can’t say it was all bad because some of the people who joined were very pleasant, and in fact Klein could be quite charming.    I remember him phoning me at 3 am, not a clue about time differences, I ran to the phone and fainted on the way, trying to avoid waking my Mother and Grandma!!!!
The boys decided the staff could bring their dogs to work, I tried it for one day but decided my little yorkie was better at home with Grandma.  Jane, Kleins secretary took up the offer, unfortunately her little dog was a randy little bugger and when it was up it stayed there, I can’t tell you how many packets of frozen peas came down from the kitchen to rescue him. Shirley Nathanson had a dear little yorkie, she left him with her parents when she went on holiday.   The first time she tried to take him out for a walk on her return he immediately entered the betting shop at the end of her road and refused to move. Obviously her dad was a betting man.

Comments

  1. Utterly brilliant i hang on to your every word.
    Cant wait for the next instalment

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment