Up on the roof.

I recently read an interview with Lulu and she mentioned the fact that she was scared of Mick Jagger, but loved the Beatles, and that is exactly how I felt, safe, they were such great guys to work for, no big egos genuinely good people who managed to accumulate like minded people on the whole!, Always someone gets through the net, but we don’t have to dwell on them.
If only I had an almanac to read that day, unfortunately I didn’t so Laurie and I decided to have lunch in Soho, I did know the boy’s plans and visited the roof earlier in the morning watching the crew place boards across the flat roof. I have always hated spiral staircases and to gain access to the roof you had to use it, this one was very narrow, a few years later it was taken down when 3 Saville Row was renovated and delivered to Tittenhurst Park. Ringo installed it in the cottage next to ours.  Back to the plot, Lol and I came back from lunch to find Saville Row awash with people all looking up, lots of tutting from the bowler hat brigade complaining loudly and as we entered reception we noticed the police had arrived and were talking to Peter Brown .  I asked Peter if I could join them on the roof, his reply was, no you have to sort out the constabulary, wasn’t that difficult, they were mostly Beatle fans and only wanted to join in, they ended up having a great view. 
In case you haven’t seen it here is a link to the roof concert: 
John decided to change his second name from Winston to Ono, the arrangements were made for a notary to bring the relevant paper and they wanted the “ceremony” to take place on the roof.   They asked me if I could be the signatory, unfortunately that meant climbing those bloody awful wrought iron stairs again. 


Life at Apple became very boring, deep down I kept waiting for the call to see Peter with his jacket on. I spoke to Neil and told him of my fears and although he told me not to worry, I did.   I decided I would go before I was pushed.   My first call was to Dick at Robert Stigwood’s office, we always remained friends. He promised to talk to Robert and get back to me.
I can’t say it was all bad, one day I was complaining about my tube journeys and George said, “look I never use my car space you can have it.”   What a treat, a great journey from Totteridge to Saville Row and a car park just round the corner.   One day I was talking to a guy called Bob Adcock who popped in to the office on a regular basis. I asked if he could give me a lift round the corner to pick up my car [lazy cow] he mentioned it was full but I could sit on one of the guy’s lap.   It was Mike, my first reaction was he had bony knees, but it was instant, I just knew he was the one.   We had so much in common and came from a similar background etc, the only problem was he was 18 and I was 25!!!!!!!!    However he had been playing in a band from the age of 11 so had been there done that, and I honestly can say he was definitely an adult.   Today it seems to take youngsters about ten years longer to grow up.  This year we'll have been married for 46 years.
I mentioned to the boys I had decided to leave and Ringo said, he would speak to Maureen, the next day they invited me to work for them at their home.   They had a house in north London about 20 minutes from Totteridge perfect, more to the point we all got on well together.   Instant love, arrived for work and met the kids, Zak could be a little bugger and there were times I chased him round the pool table, then there was blue eyed blond haired Jason, such a gorgeous little chap, called me Barbar.   Lee was still a babe in arms, it took ages to feed her, but so cute.

Happily ensconced at “Roundhill”, I received the phone call from Robert Stigwood’s office to say he wanted me to join them, Although they were great to me my first love was always the Beatles and I could never leave them.

Comments

  1. Great again
    Didn't know you lived in Totteridge. May have seen you without realising i lived in Barnet. Near the Hospital but, did spend quite some time in your area.
    Love reading your Blogs
    Please keep it up xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your homespun memories. Lovely Mike.....what a way to meet. Love those kind of moments.xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment